Have you ever made a promise before? Today we’ll learn about seven promises, or vows, that the God Sakka made when he was in the human world. By keeping these promises to do good things, he was able to be reborn as the lord of gods in two heavenly realms.
Have your notebook ready so you can write down these wholesome vows. Maybe you’ll even like to make the same seven promises.
- As long as I live may I help my parents.
- As long as I live may I respect the family elders.
- As long as I live may I speak gently.
- As long as I live may I not speak divisively.
- As long as I live may I live at home without greediness, removing the stain of stinginess, open-handed, always ready to give, always free to help others, delighting in giving and sharing, and well organized in giving charity.
- As long as I live may I speak the truth.
- As long as I live may I be free from anger, and if anger should arise in me, may I remove it quickly.
- Stories of Heavenly Mansions from the Vimanavatthu
We’d love to hear from you! You can write to us at email@example.com or contact us through Facebook at facebook.com/ColomboDhammaFriends or Instagram at instagram.com/SereneColombo. You can also sent us a voicemail on Whatsapp.
Listen on an App
The best way to listen to the podcast version of Monks in the Morning is on the Free Radio Public app
Step 1: Install the Free RadioPublic app, then come back here.
Step 2: Click on the button below and choose Radio Public to open the link.
Step 3: Select “Follow”
Optional: You may want to turn the app notifications on and change the show settings so new shows are downloaded automatically when you are on wi-fi.