When: Every Saturday
Where: 30/90 P, Longdon Place, Colombo 7
Time: 5:00 pm – 6:30 pm
For: Children (above 7 years)
Inquiries: +94 779 700 001
Children will learn the Buddha’s teachings week by week, increasing their understanding and their faith (shraddha). They will have the chance to learn and practice meditation, ask questions from monks and share their good deeds. Parents are encouraged to stay and listen so they can discuss with their children.
The program is conducted by venerable monks of Mahamevnawa Buddhist Monasteries.
To Receive Updates:
Approximate Program Schedule:
5:00 pm: Going refuge to Triple Gem and observing five precepts & Paritta Chanting
5:10 pm: Dhamma sermon (Talk on the Buddha’s Teachings)
6:00 pm: Break
6:10 pm: Guided Meditation
6:20 pm: Sharing good deeds done by the kids
6:30 pm: Blessings & Conclusion
Children below the age of 7 could participate with their parents.
Teenagers 15 years and older can also start attending Dhamma programmes for adults.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is your Syllabus?
- Gratitude to parents
- Important English Dhamma vocabulary such as contentment, renunciation, rebirth, detachment, gratitude, etc
- Meaning of vandana, pirit, and puja chanting
- Sila, Buddhist Ethics and precepts
- Meditation, including breathing, metta bhavana, and Buddhanussati among others
- Life of the Buddha
- Specific understanding of how suffering arises in life and solutions to overcome
- Real meaning of Buddhist holidays
- Lives of the great arahant disciples
- Advanced topics such as pancupadanakhanda, ayatana, paticcasamupada, dhatu, etc. in age appropriate fashion
- Books of Sutta Pitaka and organization
- History of Buddhism in Sri Lanka
Will my kids enjoy the class?
We always receive positive feedback from the parents regarding their children’s enthusiasm about attending Dhamma School with CDF. The monks who teach the class have worked with kids for many years and know how to teach Dhamma to kids in a way that is both understandable and meaningful to their lives. If they understand and see how the Dhamma applies to their own lives, then they always want to learn more.
Do we need to buy any books?
There are no books needed for class. All material will be provided. However, we do highly recommend a notebook dedicated to Dhamma School.
We also recommend that you have a copy of our Paritta Chanting Book.