**Please note- there will be two separate programs for both age groups at the same time, in two halls (same venue).
Children will learn the Buddha’s teachings week by week, increasing their understanding and their Shraddha. They will have the chance to learn and practice meditation and ask questions from monks. Parents are encouraged to stay and listen so they can discuss with their children at home.
The program is conducted by venerable monks of Mahamevnawa Buddhist Monasteries.
All of our activities are free of charge and made possible through the generous donations of people living here in Colombo.
Approximate program schedule:
3 pm: Going refuge to Triple Gem and observing five precepts
3.10 pm: Dhamma sermon (Talk on the Buddha’s Teachings)
4.10 pm: Tea Break
4.20 pm: Guided & Silent Meditation
4.40 pm: Paritta Chanting
5 pm: Recalling what they learn and Q & A
5.30 pm: Blessings & Conclusion
Participation is free of charge and refreshments are provided by volunteers.
Things we have taught in the past
Here are some of the suttas we have covered on previous Saturdays. This will give you an idea of what the activities are like:
- The Buddha tames an angry person
- The simile of the turtle to show how rare the human life is
- Collecting merit drop by drop
- Merit follows after us life to life
- Gratitude to parents
- Important English Dhamma vocabulary such as contentment, renunciation, rebirth, detachment, gratitude, etc
- Meaning of vandana, pirit, and puja chanting
- Sila, Buddhist Ethics and precepts
- Meditation, including breathing, metta bhavana, and Buddhanussati among others
- Life of the Buddha
- Specific understanding of how suffering arises in life and solutions to overcome
- Real meaning of Buddhist holidays
- Lives of the great arahant disciples
- Advanced topics such as pancupadanakhanda, ayatana, paticcasamupada, dhatu, etc. in age appropriate fashion
- Books of Sutta Pitaka and organization
- History of Buddhism in Sri Lanka